Saturday, February 28, 2009

WHO'S ON THE WHEEL

The man has passed his driving test. Yes he's a man now, a young one. That's quite a big chunk of reality for me to swallow actually.
Well, these few months were spent trying to get him licensed, so to speak. It made me poorer by RM1150, yes that's what it costs nowadays (with one retest for both car and bike). Not fretting, just sharing, but it was money well spent and was my obligation too and the bright side is it made me richer by having an extra driver in the family. Now I can sleep on all those long trips and even the shorter ones. Sleeping is one of life's pleasures you should know, and if you lead a life like mine, you'd grab every chance you get to doze off.

When I called and the good news was relayed, was overcome by emotions and had to tell myself that it was just a driving test. No big deal for normal folks but for geeks like us who react weirdly to everything in life, it is some sort of achievement.
Got to think about his first few steps walking, his first time on a tricycle, then graduating to training wheels and later on to a two wheeler and advancing to the motorised version and of course his first driving lesson was on his 15th birthday in the old KE30.
It was me who drummed the first beats of music into him when he was still in his mother's belly. I was there to hear him speak his first few words one of which was "poochee" (insect in Malayalam). I tell you, mother and father were so proud that their son was speaking and saying something comprehensible until he pointed to everything around him and still said "poochee". Ah... enlightenment.. he's just imitating some sound that he heard his crazy dad saying,..... profound knowledge! That's language acquisition for you!
Watching him grow and trying to instill values that you believe in is not an easy task. You have society , religion, family, your better half and 'the times' as competition and you have to find a way to seep it into him, explaining some and just insisting on others. You succeed most of the time but also fail in some. You see, HORRORS! these children also have minds of their own! Further more they may not only take after you, but OH GOD also after your better half! These things are not easy to accept especially if you are a hard head yourself.
Well, as much as it was a teaching process , it was also a learning one too. Only thing is, you may not get too many chances to make mistakes. Some mistakes in life are too costly and irreparable.
Now, I'm just learning to accept that the time is near when he will soon widen his horizon and his playground will not be just around the corner anymore. Have to learn to live with the fact that the time is not far away from when he may not be with me for every dinner when I'm at home. I don't know if I can let go but I know I have to. I know that he is just raring to go out there and conquer the world. His choices may not be what I want them to be. I just hope that I have done a good job trying to guide him, Kipling's "IF" is so meaningful and I know he read it too. It's every father's wish.
I will always be here, mama too, Godwilling.
If you fall, I will fuss, just as I always did when you were not careful, and still help you up, but fly son, fly. Take the world, spread your wings, sing your songs, lead the world in a choir, but just remember, while you carve your name, you also carry mine. We will always be here to support you in every way, just like when we held your hands when you took your first few steps.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

NAIM..u made me cry. i also feel the same way when my one and only daughter asking me which college she should apply for after her spm. it make me realize that time has come to let her go and lead her own life.this is the time for me and my hubby trying to ignore but we do know we cannot protect her almost all the time.Go my girl have a good and safe journey ahead..mama and ayah wiil b on your side and support u with whatever decision you make. Allah bless us naim eventhough we have only a child.

teachuhman said...

Woi Noriema

Ko tak tidur ke?
Anyway, that's life lah, I bet it was the same with our parents, whether it is one child or many children, it will still be the same,
We try, and pray for the best. Now I'm looking for some quality time with the wifey, both of us always sibuk-sibuk. Last time with my football and all, since I retired, things are the same, still sibuk-sibuk. at least you get to go on holidays.

rizal hashim said...

This is a very moving piece, how powerful words can be. If a geek like you were estatic upon your offspring's "lesen P", I was over the moon when my wife finally decided it was time for her to drive as well. Since time immemorial I was the chauffeur of the family, now no more! You are lucky you can doze off now, my journey has just begun, and I'm still very much awake, with the eldest in standard 1, hah!Cikgu bila lagi nak keluar TV dekat gate sekolah hahaha

teachuhman said...

Rizal

Thanks bro, I really appreciate you dropping by.Frankly, We have to stop meeting like this. Let's take it one step further. I'd really like to see you again.(m I sounding gay again)I'll buy you a drink.
Next week, 2nd -5th March, is our district athletics meet. Do drop by at Stadium Jugra. Have a first hand look.I bet you'll have volumes to write.M already planning for my next post on that subject.
Oh yes, thanks for linking me to your blog

Anonymous said...

11.42 pm???

criuzly man...

teachuhman said...

Yeah, I do keep pretty late nites,

maniacalmultitasker said...

RM1150???!!

Anonymous said...

nice blog naim. keep it up. you should write more and give us some different perspectives. i m sure most of your old classmates are happy to hear more from you.

ng wai lun
ACS 1980
shanghai

rizal hashim said...

cikgu this week i'm terribly busy lah, apart from moderating all the personal attacks by your fellow referees in my blog! regarding the jugra stadium, as usual we have first class facilities but poor maintenance culture! Post it!